WAEC Correction Of Name And DOB

WAEC Correction of Name and Date of Birth: A Comprehensive Guide

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) is a prominent examination body in West Africa that administers the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE). Occasionally, candidates may need to correct errors in their details, such as their name or date of birth. Here is a detailed guide on how to correct these details.


Importance of Accurate Information

Correct personal details are crucial for:

  • Issuing certificates.
  • Admission to higher institutions.
  • Employment verification.
  • Other official purposes.

Common Reasons for Corrections

  1. Typographical Errors: Mistakes made during registration.
  2. Name Change: Due to marriage or legal changes.
  3. Incorrect Date of Birth: Misrecorded during registration.

Steps for Correction of Name

  1. Obtain an Affidavit:
    • Visit a court of law to swear an affidavit indicating the correct name and the incorrect name as it appears on your WAEC document.
  2. Write an Application Letter:
    • Address the letter to the WAEC Zonal or National Office.
    • Include your full name, examination number, year of examination, and the correction required.
    • Clearly state the reason for the correction.
  3. Provide Supporting Documents:
    • Original birth certificate or affidavit.
    • A copy of the WAEC result/certificate.
    • A copy of a valid identification card (e.g., National ID, International Passport).
  4. Pay the Required Fee:
    • WAEC charges a fee for correction services. The amount can be verified from the WAEC office or their official website.
  5. Submit the Documents:
    • Take all the documents to the WAEC Zonal or National Office.

Processing Time and Follow-Up

  • Processing Time: It typically takes several weeks for WAEC to process corrections. The exact duration can vary, so it is advisable to submit your application well in advance of when you need the corrected documents.
  • Follow-Up: You may need to follow up with the WAEC office to ensure your application is being processed. Keep copies of all documents submitted and receipts for payments made.

FAQs About Correcting Name and Date of Birth on WAEC Certificates

1. Why is it important to correct errors on my WAEC certificate?


Correcting errors on your WAEC certificate is important to ensure that your academic records match your official identification documents. This is crucial for higher education admissions, job applications, and other official purposes.

2. What types of errors can be corrected on a WAEC certificate?

Common corrections include errors in the name (misspellings, incomplete names, etc.) and date of birth.

3. What documents do I need to correct my date of birth on a WAEC certificate?

To correct your date of birth, you will need:

  • An affidavit from a court of law.
  • A letter of application addressed to the WAEC office.
  • Your original birth certificate or affidavit.
  • A copy of your WAEC result/certificate.
  • A copy of a valid ID (e.g., National ID, International Passport).
  • Payment receipt for the correction fee.

4. How much does it cost to correct a name or date of birth on a WAEC certificate?

The correction fees can vary. It is advisable to contact the WAEC office or check the official WAEC website for the most up-to-date fee information.

5. Where do I submit my application for correction?

Submit your application and all required documents to the nearest WAEC Zonal or National Office.

6. How long does it take to process the correction?

The processing time for corrections can take several weeks. It’s important to apply well in advance if you need the corrected documents by a specific date.

7. Can someone else submit the correction application on my behalf?

Yes, a representative can apply on your behalf, provided they have all the required documents and authorization from you.

8. Can I apply for correction online?

As of now, WAEC requires physical submission of documents at their offices. Check the WAEC website for any updates on online application options.

9. What should I do if I have lost my WAEC certificate?

If you have lost your WAEC certificate, you should apply for a replacement before proceeding with any corrections. The process for obtaining a replacement involves filling out a form and paying a fee.

10. Can I correct other details on my WAEC certificate, such as my gender or place of birth?

Yes, WAEC allows corrections for other personal details, but the specific requirements and processes may vary. Contact the WAEC office for detailed instructions.


Correcting personal details on your WAEC certificate is essential for ensuring the accuracy of your academic and professional records. By following the outlined steps and providing the necessary documentation, you can efficiently navigate the correction process. Always verify the latest requirements and fees from the WAEC office or their official website to ensure a smooth and successful correction process.

For more information, candidates can visit the official WAEC website or contact the nearest WAEC office.


Leave a Reply